THE POSITION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Early Stage Researcher of 3 years
in the Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN network UCOM
(Ultrasound Cavitation in sOft Materials)
Host Institution: CITY, University of London
Supervisor: Prof. Manolis Gavaises / firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Title: Material deformation due to collapsing bubbles
Objectives: (1) To develop/validate a numerical model for analyzing the FSI due to a collapsing bubble; (2) To derive a macroscopic sub-grid model for mechanical loads and material damage in tissues/TMM
The recruited ESR will be enrolled in a PhD programme. In addition to his/her individual doctoral project, the recruited ESR will benefit from a dedicated training programme comprising an integrated curriculum of local and network wide training activities related to the development of scientific knowledge and the enhancement of transferable skills.
The successful candidate will receive a financial package including mobility and family allowance (if applicable), and will be employed according to the rules for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) in a EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Networks (ITN).
Post: Early Stage Researcher, Marie Curie Fellow
School: School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering
Tenure: Fixed term – 3 years
Scale of Pay: According to the MSCA-ITN rules: £36,261.0 to £37,345.0 per year
Report to: Prof Manolis Gavaises, City University London
We are looking for enthusiastic Early Stage Researchers, who want to apply know-how and
experience in a challenging technical environment. In more specific terms:
• Applicant is in the first 4 years of his/her research career. This is measured from the
date of graduation (MSc degree or equivalent), which formally entitles him/her to
embark on a doctorate.
• Master (or equivalent) degree in Engineering, Physics or Chemistry
• Applicant should not have been living in the UK for more than 12 months in the last 3
• Advanced understanding of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics is essential.
Chemistry background is a plus.
• Understanding of numerical methods and techniques
• Advanced experience with programming languages is necessary (e.g. Fortran, C/C++,
• Experience in any of the following is a plus: Parallel computing (OpenMP, MPI)
• Experience in using/modifying commercial/open source CAE software is a huge plus
(e.g. ANSYS Fluent, OpenFOAM).
• Good communication skills.
• Knowledge of the English language, both oral and written (Proficiency or equal).
The successful candidate will be employed for 3 years (36 months) and will receive a financial package including mobility and family allowance according to the rules for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) in an EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Networks (ITN).
Successful candidates are expected to contribute to the following main duties:
- To work closely with the principal investigator and co-ordinator to ensure project
deliverables and milestones are met in a timely manner.
- To assist in the dissimilation and outreach activity by providing suitable material to
the project web site.
- Being able to function both in a team and independently, with a good positive
attitude to the wide variety of people encountered
- A critical and inquisitive attitude with regard to results, which can be translated into
new research questions.
- To liaise closely with and travel to the premises of the partners on the project, or to
other sites, to meet any industrial requirements of the position, observing the
specific rules of the Marie Curie actions.
- To play a leading role in raising the national and international profile of The Team by
publishing articles in international journals, attendance at conferences,
- To work as a member of the research centre within the discipline, playing a full part
in the research life of the research team of the partner institutions.
- To play an appropriate role in planning and shaping future strategy and direction, working with other staff within The Team in a collegiate framework.
- To undertake other duties as required by the project coordinator.